Thursday, July 10, 2008

Working late

Well, here we go, am 5 weeks into the company and this is my 2nd day going home from the office at 6am - and the second day in a row actually! This better not be the start of a trend! This is one of the problems of working with a large telco as a customer (or any large customer-facing organization), the only time they can take their big-ass databases off-line for maintenance is overnight. So, I did a full day's work on tues, came back into work at 11:30pm, left around 6:45am weds, was back in again around 11, did another day's work, came back in last night at 11:30pm again, and I should be leaving here in the next few mins provided nothing goes tits-up.

So, by 9am tomorrow morning, out of the last 48hrs I will have spent 29 of them in the office, and only 6 of the others asleep (well, that would be if I was actually getting into work at 9am, which ain't fucking happening!)

The worst part of it is I wasn't actually busy most of the time. I had a busy first hour shutting down al the services and setting everything up, a busy last 30mins starting everything back up again, and most of the rest of the time was just monitoring stuff every now and then to make sure nothing had keeled over! I could have done it from home but I don't have a VPN account yet so had to come into the office :-( At least I was able to being in my home laptop with my game/movie collection!

3 comments:

Sara said...

and now you know how i spent the first half of the shagging year at least 3 times a week if not more depending on overwhelming exhaustian

milesfromhome said...

You spent the first half of the year shagging three times a week? Ok, that's waaay too much information! :-P

Anonymous said...

Sorry Miles - I didn't mean to dump you in the shit with those night upgrades.

I hope it won't be the start of a trend.. but in any case your support was appreciated...

Bastard Project Manager from Hell....