Thursday, March 26, 2009

Microsoft - muppets!

Well, curiosity got the better of me yesterday, and I decided to see what Windows 7 looked like. So, I downloaded a beta copy to try out. Rather than fucking up an actual computer by installing it and have it fuck up (this is microsoft after all - and even worse, a microsoft beta!), I decided to give it a go on a virtualbox VM. This is what I got.

I kicked off the install and got to the window where it asks for the registration code. Having got this build off bittorrent, I didn't have one, but though "no problem, normally you get 30 days trial before you have to put in the key". Nope, not with the beta, even tho it says you can when you're at the registration page. You get through the rest of the install (which half the time tells you you're installing vista, half the time windows 7), you get to the point where you have a user created and are logging in, and then you get told that the license that you never entered has expired and you need to enter it or get a new one.



If you click "access your computer with reduced functionality", then you might be expecting to be logged into some crippled version of the OS where you can do some stuff but not everything - but it's still usable and browsable. Nope, you forgot this is Micro$oft you're dealing with! All you get up is a browser window asking you to buy a license. Or rather you should, but some of the time MS can't even seem to find their own webpage!



So, I looked around a bit on the web, and found that if you have a windows live account then you can sign up and get a beta license key. I have one of those (never use it), so I signed up and got my beta key. Guess what? Like everything else to do with this beta, it didn't work!



There ends my experiment with Windows 7, I just couldn't be bothered putting in any more effort trying to get the damn thing working any more. Microsoft - telling you one thing, doing something else since Windows 95!

No comments: