Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Vodafone pt II: "All customers are equal......"

"...but some are more equal than others.

Well, I rang up Vodafone like I said I was going to do, to see could they do anything about the upgrade for me. Nope! According to the support guy I got (who was actually Irish, I was nearly shocked not to hear an Indian voice), the way they used to determine upgrades was how long you were a vodafone member, but back around December they moved to a new system which adds in a whole load more qualifications. Now, your eligibility is determined by stuff like how long you've been a member, whether you pay on time, whether you pay by direct debit or not, what price plan you're on and how much you spend on it. Am all good there apart from the last one - apparently since the new system went in, no-one who's been on the lower price plan (perfect fit 50) for less than 18 months has ever gotten an upgrade. Seems ppl on that plan don't spend enough according to Vodafone...... Guy even asked his supervisor could they push the upgrade through anyway, but the new automated system doesn't even allow them to do that

So, given my current account, I won't be able to get a new phone for at least another 6 months. So, I'd need to set up a new account. Asked the guy would I be able to do that and transfer over my existing number to use that. Apparently I can't, the only way to do that wud be to move my existing number to pre-pay, set up a new account to get the new phone, and keep the old number as a backup. Now I know that last year when I got this phone, I got the number transferred from my old account to a new account, and then back again - but then again it was a company phone so the new account was a business account, so vodafone probably bed over backwards for those guys.

So, according to Vodafone, the easiest way for me to get a new phone and keep my existing number is to move to O2! You'd think that these days that any company would want to keep their existing customers if they possibly can, especially given that the turnover in accounts with mobile phone companies is quite high. Apparently Vodafone tho don't think my business is important enough to them to allow exceptions, despite the fact that they've been getting my business since I left college. Well, is off to ebay etc for me for my new phone so, and if I can't get a good price there, Vodafone will not only be losing the potential €120 from my upgrade, they may be losing a customer too!

2 comments:

Fionn said...

(aha works on Solaris-Sparc)

Have you consider Meteor?
According to my little sister, all the cool kids are on that one, and you can keep your number I believe.
After 3 years with a SEMC w800i, I got a new upgrade yesterday, for free (jammy b*****d that I am) but the spanner I was dealing with in the store seemed to know nothing about anything. Thankfully I had done my own research.

whykay said...

Prob with meteor, only kiddiez get it, and everyone else is pissed off else they hear that annoying extra beep to say you are connecting to Meteor, and you will be charged that "little bit" extra for that privilege. I switched to O2 cos they were charging me over EUR130 in Jan, it was around EUR90 in Dec and a bit less the month before, given that I am expecting to be charged between EUR40-70, this was unacceptable. My highest bill with O2 so far is EUR54, lowest was EUR27. W00t! Well, it helps that most of my friends and some of my family are on O2, others are on Vodafone, still works out cheaper in the end. Vodafone are sneakier than a something-something. ;)