Friday, December 15, 2006

Bruxelles

Well, here I am, in what seems to be my 3rd home after Waterford & Dublin! Yup, am back in Brussels for the weekend. The weather, thank god, is a lot better than it was when I left Dublin - have almost cloudless skies as opposed to the pissing rain I left! The trip over was for once uneventful, it took me 5secs to check in using the self-service checkin kiosk, about 10mins to get through security, and then the plane actually took off on time! The only hassle was missing the train connection into the city by the skin of me teeth (got tot he platform to see the tail lights of the train disappear around the corner), but even then the next train was only 5 mins away so it was only a minor hassle. Oh, to live in a country with such an efficient public transport system!

I had a rather unusual thought on my way to the airport yesterday. The first time I came here, back when my uncle & the family first moved over, it was my first time on the continent and I think my first time in a "proper" airplane (the little 12-seater that took us to the aran islands that time not really counting), and I was so excited I could barely sleep the night before. Now I'm so blase about travelling that I was leaving work yesterday 4hrs before the plane was supposed to take off, I still had to go back to the apartment and pack my bags, I had no idea what I was going to pack, and only had a vague idea of where I'd left my passport the last time I went travelling! Is funny how things change eh?

Oh, on one good note, it seems that while you can't bring any more than 100ml of liquids through security, you can still buy crap in the duty free and bring it onto the plane SO looks like I may be bringing belgian beer home after all!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, and with wry amusement of stupid people trying to get by security with massive bottles of shampoo, conditioner, lotions and alcohol. ;)

See this? http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_2118868.html?menu=

milesfromhome said...

yeah, has been a lot of talk, quiet amisement and not-so-quiet amisement over it here.... ;-)