Friday, March 23, 2007

Grr......

Well, looks like the filesystem on my laptop is screwed. I've been trying to download a few game demos the last few days, among them Command and Conquer 3 - a 1.18Gb download! Every single time I've downloaded the zip or rar files, I haven't been able to extract or install them. Every single one has either given me a CRC error on trying to extract or an error on the install file when I try to run it.

So, I've just been getting a lot of bad builds you might say. Well, I downloaded the exact same file (the C&C one) on my brand new (ish) work laptop, and had no problems with it. So, something is screwed on my lappy somewhere. I tried running the defragmenter but it made no difference.

This means my laptop is having the current set of problems:

  • A messed-up filesystem

  • A broken DVD drive - it'll read most CDs most of the time but only reads DVDs when it wants to. Oh yeah, plus the drive door broke off a good while ago

  • A screwed up graphics card. It has to be the card rather than the drivers 'cos no matter what version of the drivers I put on I get the same result.

  • The processor is also runnning a bit hot on it as well I reckon



So, it looks like this is a shop job. I could fix the first part by wiping and reinstalling (it won't be the first time - in fact, it's overdue), if only the bloody DVD drive would actually read the install CDs long enough to install! Time to start backing stuff up.....

No comments: