Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Hotpot!

Well, I've finally found what I've been looking for ever since I came back from China: a restaurant in this country that does hotpot!. The place is one of the hundreds (or so it seems) Chinese restaurants up on Parnell St, and is called the Zen Win House. I noticed it on the menu last time I was in there, but it's a dish for two and the person I was with at the time had no particular interest in it. So, I went back tonight with Vicky!

Was pretty damn good, altho I would have preferred my half of the bowl to be spicier. We ordered the "double happiness" pot, which was half spicy and half normal stock - guess which I had? ;-) One of the things tho which I forgot about with hotpot is it's so damn hard to eat - you drop your meat/fish/veg/whatever in, and then you have to try to find it again in the bowl with your chopsticks! Ah, a bit of exercise sharpens the appetite eh? :-)

(For those who haven't had it before, it's a big bowl of soup stock on the table on a hotplate, and you get all the meat etc raw on plates on the side. So, you take the raw ingredients, drop them in yourself and cook them to your own taste.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Even though we ordered an extra plate of meat (since we thought the mixed meat did not come with it, and guess what, it did). This defo is a meal for 4 people (and don't order starters, hotpot on its own is enough). I felt like I was in the steam room, with the steam from the hotpot blowing into my face, I smelt like food afterwards (memories of when I helped out in the kitchen in my parent's restuarant, stinky indeed!). Food was really good, place was clean (to my surprise). And the look on Neil when he saw the uncooked food, he was aghast with horror! Well, he was no help in clearing our food. Still, if we had 2 other people, it's a real bargain of a dinner. And we stayed awhile as well. And maybe next time, lets do Karaoke upstairs.. hahahahaha!