Saturday, June 23, 2007

My first purchase in Singapore........

......was an umbrella!

Yup, just like when we went to Bandung, as soon as the touristy part of the trip starts, so does the rain. I decided to start the day by going to Chinatown (to sort of make up for the fact that I was staying in Little Riyadh!), and everything was going OK until I got out of the Dim Sum restaurant after brunch (Ok, I got up a little late......). As soon as I started going around the stalls, here comes the rain! At first it was OK, a bit of drizzle like you'd get back home, tolerable like - even more so than at home 'cos it was warm rain. (Warm rain? Who knew such a thing existed?). After a few mins tho, downpour! I was reduced to scurrying around under the awnings outside the stalls trying to find an umbrella. You'd never guess how hard it was to find such a thing as an umbrella among stalls selling all sorts of crap, but it was! It took so long that at one stage I said "screw this" and sat down outside a food stall for a drink and to wait for the rain to stop (it didn't).

Eventually, I found the umbrella, and having exhausted the pleasures of chinatown, decided to wander a bit more. I ended up down on the riverside along Boat Quay (tourist central, full of restaurants-cum-bars, all with guys outside trying to get you inside), and wandered along until I got to the Merlion, the big statue at the rivermouth which was the symbol of Singapore, a lion with a fish's tail (how drunk do you have to get a lion before he'll have sex with a fish?). After a few obligatory pictures, I decided I was fairly done touristing for the day, so headed back to the mosque for some dry clothes and a rest.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yup that is Sungapore alright. Rains in the afternoon, but normally stops in the evening time. It's more predictable than Irish weather. :)