Friday, October 26, 2007

Another Trip Cancelled

Well, I've just had another trip shot down at work. One of our customers in Australia is doing an upgrade, and someone has to go down and do it. Originally it was supposed to be another member of the team, Viv, but then the project got delayed and it conflicted with her 3-week holiday in China, so someone else had to go. I was the only implementer left in the office (the other guy is in cape town) so I was supposed to be sent instead. Now it's been delayed again and Viv is going - in fact, they're flying her straight from Hong Kong to Sydney, she's not even coming home.

As I said a few days ago, I'm not overly happy with the way the travel has gone here. When I signed up it was on the understanding I'd be travelling a good bit of the time. I'm here nearly a year now and I've been to one place! Instead, my days are spent reading log files to try to see how Vodafone [Censored] have fucked up their systems now! So far, since I've come back from Jakarta, I've had the following trips proposed, then cancelled:
  • Reading: Supposed to go on the tuesday, got cancelled on the monday
  • Guyaquil, Ecuador: Got put on one week's notice to go (as in "have your bags packed"), then got canned. Issues with the contractor I think
  • Cairo: Same as Ecuador, was "vitally urgent" we send someone over at short notice, then the urgency sort of evaporated (despite their systems still being as fucked-up now as they were then)
  • Sydney: project got delayed, I was told I was going, project got delayed again, so the original person is going.


Maybe in January when the takeover (sorry, "merger") is done, the travel situation may be different. Our new lords and masters are apparently extremely good at project planning - good, we could do with some of that around here! Maybe we won't be spending our whole time firefighting then! I'll wait and see what happens in the first few months of the new year In the meantime however, I might be dusting off the CV just in case.....

No comments: