Thursday, April 26, 2007

Japanese fashion - please god, not here!

My friend Whykay passed me on this link earlier about the strange new fashion fad in Japan. The big new thing now apparently is wearing jeans that look like really low hipsters with a thong sticking out over them. An example is here:



This is apparently a fashion trend that came from Brazil to Japan. I hope to god it doesn't make it to these shores! While there are some Irish women who do have the figures to pull this off, it would probably be the case where the women who would wear this type of fashion are the types that shouldn't be allowed. Not to beat around the bush, but these are the ones who think that wearing skimpy stuff makes up for the fact that they're 2-3 stone overweight.

It can be scary enough during the summer when these fashion icons swap their tracksuits for belly tops (with added belly), normally 2 sizes too small. Ladies, I know it's good that you're comfortable with your body, but there's nothing attractive about seeing a mountain of flesh spilling out from under a small top and overlapping your pants waist. Sometimes it's like watching a school of whales with hoop earrings and tracksuit bottoms wander their way up to Pennys on Henry st or TK Maxx, and I'll never forget one of my friend's comments on seeing some of them one day: "Jesus Christ, if flab on show ever becomes fashionable, we've just seen the next 3 covers of 'Vogue'!" :-)

So, belly tops bad, but belly tops and these jeans - dear god, give me a red-hot wire coat hangar now so I can poke my eyes out and save myself the pain!

(Then again, if the girls wearing them are our new Eastern European friends, then bring it on!)

No comments: