Saturday, April 28, 2007

New Laptop?

I'm wondering whether or not it's time to upgrade my laptop. I have it now about 3 years (or is it 4?) and the thing is starting to get seriosly shook. At the mo, I have the following problems:
  • The DVD drive doesn't really read DVDs very much any more, and as for burning CDs, fuggedaboutit!
  • The battery life is starting to go. We're talking maybe an hour and a half now, especially if I'm doing something like watching a movie - on the train on the weekends, I get about half an hour of catching up on emails, then enough time to watch an episode of 'Galactica' or 'Heroes' and just as it's over, the "battery low" beeping starts. And I'm on my 2nd battery since I got it!
  • Some of the keys are starting to come loose and fall off - I can stick them back in but am just waiting for the day when one falls off on the train and I can't find it.
  • The graphics card is screwed. Sometims I'll get a few hours out of the machine, other times I'm rebooting every 5mins 'cos it's either blue-screening or freezing. This happens a lot when I'm on battery, and rebooting really sucks up the juice. A lot of the time the screen freezes and I get a creeping greyness spreading from the bottom right-hand corner. This isn't a driver problem because I've used about 3 or 4 different driver versions, is definitely hardware. Occasionally the system will be able to recover and I'll get a message from the ATI control center saying that the driver has crashed, but I'm able to keep working, more times than not though, it's rebooting time.
  • The machine runs very hot sometimes - you can't have it on your lap. Occasionally you'll actually hear the processor fan ramp up in speed, and then usually at that stage the machine will keel over.
  • It takes ages to boot the machine. Sometimes I've had to work on both laptops - this one and my work one - and I boot both at the same time, and I have booted up and logged on the work one before I even get the "welcome to windows" flash screen on my one. Then when it does boot, a lot of times I get the "This system has recovered from a serious error. Please tell Microsoft" dialog box even after I'm doing a clean boot after a clean shutdown. And it doesn't come up once, but 4-5 times.
  • The hard drive is starting to develop a few bad sectors - some programs won't even run or install any more because the sectors used by the temp folder/page swapper seem to be seriously shagged.
  • The wi-fi connection is erratic. Sometimes the signal will drop at random and I have to reconnect - and it's not the transmitter becuse my flatmate's laptop chugs away happily, connected the whole time. Sometimes it says I'm connected but nothing gets through (I have a DOS script set up to ping the wi-fi router, the DSL modem and the Smart Telecom DNS server which I use to check the connection). Most of the time clicking "repair connection" will fix it, but the odd time it'll lose all signal and I'll have to go searching for the router and entering the WEP key again.


Hopefully the last 3 or 4 problems might be fixed by a clean wipe of the HD and a reinstall, but it'd be putting off the inevitable. Likewise, when I'm in the flat, I can get away without the CD drive as I have the external DVD burner to fall back on (and these days when I install a game I go straight to gamecopyworld.com and download the "noCD" crack so I don't need the disk in the drive to play). Still, it would be nice if everything just worked!

Naturally I'm way out of warranty on the lappy, so if I was to send it back to the shop to get repaired it'd cost a fair bit. Think I'm going to have to go pricing a new model, see how much it'd cost me to upgrade. Technically I have the work laptop as well, but I'm not really supposed to be putting games or pr0n on that, and at any stage they could take it back off me, so better to have my own machine.

No comments: