Saturday, May 19, 2007

Here I go.

Well, I'm just finished packing and am ready to head off to the airport. I'm not sure if I can totaly say that I'm looking forward to the trip - despite this being exactlyt he reason I joined my current job in the first place, the travel. I think last year I was a bit nervous going over to China 'cos I didn't totally know what to expect, but this time I have a fairly good idea what to expect work-wise.

My main issues with the trip this time are:
  • I don't really like the guy I'm going over with - I have a feeling that at some stage he's just going to drop me in the shit just to see how I perform under pressure (and I don't know even myself how I'll do, as it's never happened really yet).
  • The crowd that I'm going over to don't seem to be the most organized people on the planet - not by a long shot. Plus, I have to stall them for a week when I get there as the build i'm going over to install doesn't actually work yet according to the developers - and probably won't work for another week!
  • Every second review I read of Jakarta says it's pretty much a shithole - the advice is "fly into jakarta and then get the hell out as fast as you can to see the rest of the country.". Plus, I don't have any guide book for it yet or anything. No place in Dublin has any lonely planet guide or anything like that, and the few indonesia books 've found have 5-6 pages max on jakarta - and no decent maps.


Ah well, whatever happens, I'm there for at least the next 4 weeks anyway. I was originally supposed to be there for 7 weeks, but it seems there was a miscommunication between the project manager and my boss as to whether or not I was doing the User Acceptance Testing phase as well. My boss won, so I'm back in dublin on the 26th June now instead of the 7th/8th of July. ta least I'm still geting my trip to Singsapore in! ;-)

Ok, here goes, catch ye on the flip side.....

No comments: