Tuesday, May 22, 2007

So far so good

Well, I survived my trip over anyway. Is bloody hot here tho - will take a bit of getting used to walking out of a building and feeling warmer rather than colder! Is like walking onto a public swimming pool except without the smell of chlorine - hot and sticky, is like 30+ degrees and 95+humidity. Also, I have to wear "casual smart" - decent pants, shirt, suit jacket - so that makes the heat worse.

The flights went without any problems, apart from the button on my seat that's supposed to recline it not working and having to sit upright the whole trip (made sleeping uncomfortable). Oh yeah, had a few screaming babies within 3 rows of me as well. Plus the taxi from the airport dropped me off at the wrong hotel. Apart from that tho, everything has been fine!

Work-wise, there were a few sticky moments the first day yesterday where I had to bullshit a bit but I managed to get through it by letting the other guy who's here with me talk. The people are nice enough but there's an undercurrent of politics involved that I don't like - have had to say a few times "well, you'll have to ask Angelo about that" (my project manager) when they were pressing me for stuff I shouldn't really be giving them.

My hotel room is cool tho - is about the size of my apartment without my bedroom! Haven't been able to do any sightseeing yet as it gets dark here earlier than at home, was fully dark when we left here at 7 last night, so we just went for food. We're planning stuff for the weekends though - maybe a trip to Bali or to see Krakatoa.

No comments: