Monday, February 20, 2006

eating out

Well, I finally had a craving for western food yesterday. Took longer than I expected, two weeks! I was at the Lama Temple and sort of met up with this American girl, Katie - was the usual thing of "sorry, would you mind take my picture?", and seeing as we were the only english-speakers around, we decided to team up for the day. At least that way we figured, we'd actually be able to get pictures of ourselves in all the touristy places!

So, we "did" the Lama Temple, then walked down to the Drum Tower and the Bell tower, then up to Coal Hill in Jingshuan Park to get the view of the city. Unfortunately, you couldn't get to the top of the hill 'cos they're renovating the building at the top, os we had to make do with pics taken from maybe 3/4 up through the trees. after that, we walked back down to Wanfujing, and at that stage we were ravenous 'cos we'd done maybe a 5-6k walk! So, I txted a few lads to find out where we could get some burgers and stuff (Katie was having food pangs as well - after only a week!), so they told us about this place called Outback down by the Worker's Stadium.

Before we went there, we were passing the food market up on (I think) Wusi Daije, and I decided seeing as I was going to have a nice steak like back home, first I was going to brave the local "delicacies"! So, I got some deep-fried scorpion!



The pic was taken just after I took my first bite, while I was still trying to figure out what the taste was :-) Sort of was just crunchy and deep-fried, no real taste. if had to say something, it'd be like the crunchy skin you sometimes get on chicken wings.

After that, we headed for Outback and pigged out on american-style food portions and chinese beer! Fully satiatd, we headed back to the Night Market for a look, then seeing as i had to get my train back to Wudaokou, we went our separate ways. Nice girl, too bad she's heading home tomorrow......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you been to this restaurant yet? ;)

http://tinyurl.com/rs2jk