Sunday, April 09, 2006

Tokyo

Well, here I am, in another country where I can't speak the lingo. 8 weeks of building up my (really basic) chinese skills, and now I'm back to not understanding a word. I have a total of two words of japanese "Konichiwa" and "Arigato" - at least they're useful anyway!

Tokyo is, well, nice. I know I don't sound enthusiastic here, but this is my third city in as many weekends, and my 8th weekend in a row doing the tourist thing. I think I'm suffering from "Tourist Fatigue". I'm sure if I was getting here fresh off the boat (so to speak) I'd be having a ball, but I've been on the go too long. The fact also that I haven't had a load of sleep in the last few days might be a factor as well. So, I'm walking around, pretty much at random not caring whether I see everything or not. I don't even have a guide book, just a map!

That's not to say that I'm not doing the tourist thing, I've been fairly busy. yesterday I managed the Tokyo Tower, Shinjuku & Rappongi despite not getting settled in the hotel until 5pm, and today I got in the Meiji Shrine, Ginza, the Imperial Gardens and Ikebekura. So, not just sitting on my ass!

Anyway, more when I get back to Beijing.

No comments: