Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Windows crashing error - found?

Well, i think I've discovered why my gfx card has been crashing so much. It always seems to crash whenever I'm browsing the web so I decided to do a search on "ATI +mozilla + crash". The first link I saw gave me this (from the mozilla 1.2.1 release notes):

Using ATI video drivers will lead to random crashes on many sites. Mac OS ATI driver versions affected: All (?) Windows ATI driver versions affected: 5.13.1.6118 (Mac OS) Workaround: set your screen to 'Thousands of colors' rather than 'Millions'. (Windows) Possible Workaround: Revert to an older driver (6094?)-- Untested (Bug 101055)


So, looks like I'm suffering from mozilla bug 101055! Sure enough, I installed Opera instead, and for the last two days I've been crash free. I decided to go back to firefox just to try it out, and within 10 minutes had crsahed again!

the hting is, I don't rally like opera. it just seems clunkier than firefox - even with the fact that I don't have all the extensions I've come to take for granted, there are other things like pages definitely don't load as fast and sometimes images don;t load properly. Could be because it's 9.0 beta, but still. One thing I'm definitely not doing is use IExplore! Maybe when IE7 has been out for a while and ppl figure out how to disable all the sneaky stuff MS have put in.....

Going to download Mozilla 1.7 and see if the smae problem is happening there.

No comments: