Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Irish Film Night

Well, our paddy's day celebrations started here last night. There was an "Irish film night" set up by a bunch of the Irish lads here. I'm not sure why, but they picked some place out in the ass-end of nowhere to have it - was a film center in an industrial estate, which during the day is supposed to be a lively arty hippy type place but at night is just bleak.

The main flick was your typical irish film - depressing. It was the one from (I think) last year about two guys in a whelchair - back home it was called "Inside I'm Dancing", but here the name was "Rory O'Shea was here" (for some reason). I'm not going to spoil it but don't expect a happy ending. There was one short flick tho which was good, called "Yu Ming is ainm dom", about a Chinese guy who decides to move to Ireland. Before he comes over, he reads that the official language of Ireland is Irish, so he goes and learns Irish. Then he arrives here and realises that everyone speaks english!

Was short but pretty funny, but the funniest part of it (for me anyway) is that at the end he's supposed to be heading to Connemara on a bus (I don't thnk I'm putting in a big huge plot spoiler here anyway...). Thing is, you see two shots of him heading down the "west of ireland" coastline, but they used Bonmahon, in Waterford, where I'm from! Small world eh? I'm trying to find some pictures to prove it to the lads here but there isn't any good enough shots up on the copper coast website of the locations they used.

Anyway, because I was the only one there flying the colours (had me rugby jersey on from Cardiff last year), I had to step in for quite a few of the photos for the event. So, I should be appearing up on IrishBeijing.org any day now.

I'm feeling a tad delicate after it tho, as there were only 20 ppl at it and they had a whole keg of Guinness which had to be drunk on the night. I'm not sure was my crap morning because of the Guinness (which I'd never drink at home), or the dodgy fish & chips we went for after, but for a while I was talking to God on the Big White telephone. I wouldn't mind but I had a huge big meeting with all of my bosses on the status of my current project (as in, the reason I'm over here) this morning. Ah well, I managed to get through it anyway (just about). Roll on the next event!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, missed it on TG4.. since it was only a really short film. But it was shown in IFI (I think) in one of its festivals. The IBC forum has a mention of it in the past (here) and I mentioned it before in my blog in '04. Still, pity I missed it though.