Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Where's Ireland gone?

I was just trying to book my trip to Tokyo on expedia.com, and noticed one small detail missing when it came time to pay online. When I went to enter my credit card details, I noticed that Ireland was missing from the list! There are places like Pitcairn Islands and the Vatican, but no Ireland! It's not under 'I' for Ireland, 'E' for Eire (which really only UK sites seem to use anyway), or 'R' for Republic of Ireland.

I thought this might just be the expedia.com site, but no, expedia.co.uk is missing its nearest neighbour too. Looking though the list, it seems that such other lovely places like Iran, Iraq, Syria and North Korea aren't there either. Have expedia heard something we haven't about Ireland being placed on the Axis of Evil list or soemthing? I mean, there are places I've never heard of on there - just where the fuck is Svalbard, or the Jan Mayen Islands, or Mayotte? It seems if I was from Kyrgyzstan or Eritrea I could book my flights, but not if I'm from the 26 counties!

Bit of a bummer too, since it was the only site I found which would actually give me decent(ish) flight & accomodation rates - I don't fancy paying Singapore Airlines 4 grand for a return flight for 4 days!

Update:

I emailed Expedia to ask them about this, and it seems that I'm not the only one who can't book:

"Unfortunately, Expedia.co.uk cannot offer services to customers who live outside the UK. Although it may appear that other countries can book, when you go through to pay, the web site declines this."

So why have the option there to pick other countries? Are they just trying to tease us or something?

No comments: