Sunday, March 12, 2006

shopping

Well, I didn't really do all that much in the way of touristy stuff this weekend (see the next post). I wasn't sitting around on my arse though. I had great plans to go off by train somewhere outside of beijing this weekend, but by friday I still hadn't picked a place. Thne my plans were slightly scuppered by two facts: one was that no-one had told me that you actually have to book train tickets at least a day in advance (as opposed to back home where you can get your ticket for the 1800 train at 1759 if you're a fast enough runner to make the platform). The other factor was the weather, there was apparently supposed to be a dust storm over the weekend, and even by friday evening all of the cars going along the road were covered in a light layer of Gobi desert dust and you could feel it slightly tickling the back of your throat as you breathed in. So I decided to not make any plans and see what happened.

What happened first was that it snowed again! Every time I think I can pack up my woolies and ship them home, the weather takes a nosedive and the snow comes out! I get up on sat morning and lok out, and there's a few flakes falling. By the time I get out to get the taxi to meet Peter it's a regular snow shower, complete with plummeting temperatures. So, rather than hitting the tourist spots in the cold and snow, we hit the nice warm indoor markets instead*!

So, now after the weekend I have 2, maybe 3 people crossed off my must-get-presents-for list, and I have a few things for myself too. I'm now the owner (or will be when they're done) of 3 custom tailored shirts (¥100 each), a pair of Oakley shades (¥80), a Rolex (¥150) and Spyder ski jacket and pants (¥200 and ¥120), plus a few other little bits and pieces. Granted the oakleys, the rolex and (most probably) the ski gear aren't exactly original manufacturer's models, but they're still good enough!

Of course the fun part of shopping here is the haggling. Rule of thumb, if you don't see a price tag, start the negotiations! Anyone who takes the first price they give you deserves to be ripped off :-) The rule seems to be they start ridiculously high, you start ridiculously low, and ye meet somewhere near the middle. if you're good enough, you'll meet closer to your price than to theirs, and if you're really good you'll meet pretty close to your original price! Normally I start at between a fifth and a tenth of their original price, depending on what the price is (if it isn't too expensive I'll start higher), and then when they pretend to be shocked and say "you're joking!", I just reply "well, you started it first". You pretyt much have to be pretty cheeky about the whole thign too - just remember, you'll never offend them 'cos they've been workign there for god knows how long, and they'll never sell it to you for below their cost, so keep on pushing. And the best trick to get a lower price: walk away! If they call you back, you can definitely get it for lower!

So, most of saturday and a bit of today was actually spent at the Pearl Market down by Tiantan park, as Peter (the german guy I met at work) wanted to get some pearls and stuff for his wife. So, on a tip from someone else in the company, we bypassed the main floor of the market (where a lot of the pearls are of dubious quality anyway) and headed up to the quality shops on the 4th floor. We spent quite a bit of time in Sandy's pearl store, and Peter spent so much money there over the last 2 days that this evening Sandy (the owner) and her boyfriend took us out for dinner and a foot massage! I'd never had a chinese foot massage before, all I can say is "wow"! :-)

(* - oh yeah, and the snow had stopped by around 2pm sat afternoon but by then we were in shopping mode!)

No comments: