Saturday, November 24, 2007

heading off

Well, am packed up and ready to go now. Has been a hectic few days - have had to drop everything I was doing and hand it off to other people, and then get up to speed on a project I didn't know anything about. It didn't help that the guy who I'm taking over for was saying "ah, it's a cushy number, you'll just have to hold their hand and answer any questions they have", then at abot 3pm yesterday I was told "Actually, you'll be doing an upgrade of tehir productin systems on monday using OWB" - which I've never done before, so needed a crash course in that! Should be fun!

It was also hectic aftert I got out from work in the evenings. Was out with the g/f on weds and had to tell her I'd be heading off for a while ("Um, remember you said we were hgoing ice skating next week? Well, I don't think I'll be able to make it..."), on thurs night we had a going-away piss-up with a few of the guys who were getting laid off, and then last night there was an impromptu going-away meal for me and another guy who#'s off to singapore to get married next week. So, my first chance to actually pack for this trip was when I got home at 11:30pm last night!

At least I know now that it'll deinitely be at least 3 weeks. At first the boss was saying "ah, it'll only be a week, until Alan gets back form Jamaica, then we'll send him down instead of you" but then I got my flights and they had me coming back on the 16th Dec. So, I leave her in a few mins, my flight takes off for Heathrow at 12:10, and then I get into Cape Town at 6:05am tomorrow. Well, at least it'll be warm there.... :-)

No comments: