Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Interesting, but a bit scary

I'm in the middle here of doing up my project plan for what I'm going to be doing in Beijing, and I stumble across this article:

Managing a Doomed Software Project: Practical Suggestions for Breaking the Bad News

Does this scenario sound familiar to you?

The company, department, or customer bets the farm that project X will be done by late October in order to make the Christmas sales period. Various managers assure them that this can be done. Around June, the big boss calls you into his office and explains to your team the importance of the project, its crucial nature to the business, the value of your contribution, and the importance of the deadline.

Time passes...

Sometime around July 15, you realize that there’s no way you can meet the deadline. It doesn’t matter how much overtime you work, it doesn’t matter how lucky you get—it just won’t happen.

Welcome to the doom train. All aboard.



Is this a sign from god or something? It seems here like I'm doing all the planning on my own: I'm trying to get discussions going on the internal aliases and end up talking to myself.

Well, if it was easy, it would have been done already by someone else I suppose.

Oh, and the full article can be found here :-)

No comments: