Thursday, January 26, 2006

New video file encoding - OGM

Here's one that I haven't hit before. I was downloading a movie off BitTorrent last night (won't say which 'cos I don't want to get sued), and found when it was down that it was blah.ogm. I assumed that OGM was another DVD movie format (like VOB or something), so I tried opening it in WinDVD, but no dice.

I did a quick google search on it, and found the following:

"Ogg Media (.OGM) files are a far more recent wrapper format than .AVI. Usually, they contain either DivX or XviD encoded video streams. .OGM files are becoming popular as they are far more adept at supporing multiple audio and subtitle streams than .AVI. As with .AVI files,you must have the codecs needed by the contained streams to play these files. "

You can get the codec for it here, and once you install it the file should open in Windows Media Player. First time you click on it, WMP will protest a bit, saying that "I don't rcognize this file type but I'll try to play it anyway". Just ignore it and play away! :-)

I have to admit I've never heard of this before - I'd heard of Ogg audio files before, but not Ogg video. It seems to have a slightly better compression rate as well - 620Mb for a 1h56m movie, as opposed to another flick I have here which is 699Mb AVi file for a 1h35m movie. Could be just whatever settings the dude who encoded it used I guess tho.

No comments: